Friday, December 3, 2010

Can you gain while you loose?



I am finally loosing weight! Must be these running and rowing metcons adding up. I"ve gone from 227lbs in this spring to 210lbs. Obviously diet plays a big role, but the biggest thing I have changed is demanding my body move for longer durations of time. The big fear most athletes have with loosing weight is loosing strength. This is a tricky subject and one that a lot of crossfitters ask me about. I have a couple strategies, the simplest being: lift heavy things... a lot! Your body will assume the needs you place upon it. So if you demand it to bear heavy loads daily, it will adapt to that. Secondly, separate your metcon from your strength. Studies done by William Kreamer and the University of Connecticut show that without a separation of a minimum of 4 hours strength gains will be hindered by aerobic work. This week was a retest week for me, kind of a comparison of where I am now versus when I started squatting. The highlight being a straight set of 10 reps at 455lbs unbroken, something I could not do weighing 17lbs more in June.

Day 160
Box squat
405
455x5

Day 161
Box Squat
405
455x3

10 pullups
10 boxjumps
10 rounds

Day 162
Box Squat
405
455
475
500

400m run
21 kb swing
12 pullups
3 rounds

Day 163
Box Squat
405
455 x 3

7 Atlas stones to the shoulder (175)
800m run
4 rounds

Day 164
405
455

Day 165
Back Squat
405
455x10 reps!!

500m row
7 thrusters 135lbs
5 rounds

Day 166
Front squat
315
405
455

2k row

Day 167
Box squat
405
455
475
500
520

50,40,30,20,10
Double unders
pushups

Day 168
405
455

Read about Amanda at amandaredmiller.blogspot.com

6 comments:

  1. I love my pink/white Amanda Miller tee and hope Santa brings me the other one. Thanks for doing this, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,
    Do you have the reference for the Kreamer article you mentioned?
    Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, you're amazing.

    Also, as 'Judah' asked, I've been trying to find that article and I can't seem to run it down. Do you have it bookmarked, or do you remember the title of the article?

    Thanks, and keep up the awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dave,
    Can you post a video of wrist wrapping techniques for both tape and the elastics?

    Thanks,
    Chet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I found it. It's not Kraemer from what I see, but (without having looked completely in-depth into the article yet (no time) it looks like what I need) it has a test that correlates what you have to say, Dave. The article can be found here:

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14636098

    To get the full article, I think you'd have to pay $31 if you're not a member or whatever it means, but since I can gain access to all these databases via my school library, if you want a copy of the article I will gladly forward it to you. You can e-mail me @ am11235811@gmail.com if you want the article.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave,

    this is amazing. Squatting every day would have been hard, but going for 450 lbs each and every day. Man that is brutal.
    Loved the California Trip which was on the Jornal recently. Maybe one day we'll be Facebook Friends ;-)

    Keep it up man!

    Nico

    ReplyDelete